top of page
Folsom Office.jpg


Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I file a wrongful death claim on behalf of my spouse?
    Yes! If your spouse was seriously injured or died due to negligence you may have the legal right to file a personal injury or wrongful death claim. Please contact Goodwin Law Corporation today to discuss the circumstances of your case.
  • Why should I hire an attorney?
    When a person is faced with a legal issue and does not seek a qualified attorney, the consequences of the issue may affect them for the rest of their life. The very best decision that someone can make to protect their future is to hire an attorney who will understand their legal rights. At Goodwin Law Corporation, we will aggressively fight on a client’s behalf to protect their rights and their futures. Our client’s legal rights are extremely important to us and we will provide a strong legal commitment to you throughout every step of the legal process.
  • How soon will my case be resolved?
    The time required to resolve a case varies tremendously based on the type of case, the complexity of the issues and whether the case settles or goes to trial. Goodwin Law Corporation directs its efforts to resolving its clients cases as soon as possible through settlement discussions, mediation, or arbitration with the other party’s attorneys. Over 80% of personal injury cases in California settle without trial. However, it is not possible to always predict if a case will settle or go to a full trial. If it does go to trial, it becomes even more difficult to determine when a case will be resolved but you can count on Goodwin Law Corporation to consistently and aggressively fight for your rights regardless of the length of trial. For example, Goodwin Law Corporation has been fighting on behalf of its clients against Dow Corning in breast implant tort claims since the 1990’s and continues to fight for relief to this day. Because determining when a case may be resolved is based on the particular circumstances of the case, and as a precautionary measure, we always prepare our cases for trial regardless if the matter can be settled beforehand.
  • When and what type of monetary compensation can be awarded in personal injury & wrongful death claims?
    When a personal injury or wrongful death claim is filed our clients generally look to recover monetary compensation for their damages. These damages may be awarded in a settlement prior to trial, during trial, or by a judgment at the end of a trial. The type of compensation that a person may be awarded will be based upon the circumstances surrounding their claim, but may include: medical expenses, future medical care, loss of wages, loss of future income, loss of benefits, property damage, emotional anguish, pain and suffering and more. Some damages are limited by statute so it is often difficult to project potential damages without knowing the facts and type of case. We recommend you contact Goodwin Law Corporation to have your case evaluated and determine if you have a likely chance of receiving monetary compensation.
  • What does it cost to consult with the firm on my case?
    All initial consultations with Goodwin Law Corporation are free of charge. You will never be charged for our initial time in evaluating your case. If we don’t accept your case we will not charge you for our time.
  • How do I pay my attorneys?
    When the decision is made that a client has a valid claim and they wish Goodwin Law Corporation to represent them, the fee contract between the client and the firm will be negotiated and in writing. In some cases, the maximum attorneys fees are set by statute. The firm accepts cases on both an hourly and on contingency fee basis. If your case is accepted on a contingency fee basis, the firm will receive a percentage of your settlement or judgment when the funds are collected and will be reimbursed for any costs it has incurred. If your case is accepted on a contingency fee and no recovery is made, the firm will not collect a fee, nor will it charge you for the costs incurred by the firm in handling your case. If your case is accepted on an hourly basis, the firm accepts cash, check, and all major credit cards.
  • How long do I have to file my case?
    The running of the statute of limitations varies depending on the type and facts of the case. Generally, the statute of limitations in California for a personal injury claim is two years from the date of injury or death. In some instances the period to file suit may be longer. However, the time for file a case may also be shorter than two years if the case involves medical malpractice, is against a public entity such as the State of California, a county or municipality, or a civil rights action. You should seek a qualified and experienced attorney as soon as possible after an incident to assist you in determining whether you may file a lawsuit and avoid problems with the statute of limitations. When a person waits, evidence can become lost, destroyed or covered up; or witness testimony may be forgotten; in addition to other issues that could severely hinder a claim. Likewise, if a lawsuit is filed past the state of limitations the case may result in being dismissed without compensation. If you feel you may have been wronged, contact Goodwin Law Corporation as soon as possible to speak with a qualified and experienced attorney.
bottom of page